Wednesday 6 June 2012

The Southern Right whales of the Valdes Peninsula, Argentina

wildlife
I had never been before whale watching, whales never seen before, but like being in Puerto Madryn and it was October, I thought I might as well go take a look. So I got on the bus to the pier, and stood there for a while. I actually took a short walk up the hill behind the jetty, and saw half a dozen dark shapes circling in the bay. Looking down at the dock I noticed that my companions were observers of all shipments, so he slipped down and coming up the walkway. Be the last, there is no obvious spaces left, so I went right ahead and find a place almost at the sharp end pointed at the front.
 As we drove into the bay I realized a few splashes here and there, and moved slowly toward a couple of ways we approached oscuras.Medida whales, which advanced a little, at first sitting with one leg hanging both sides of the bowsprit, and finally extending along it. My first thought was that this was uncomfortable, and inconvenient because I could not stand to get a decent view, but as he approached I realized I was in position 1A. In 1987 the whale watching was still a young industry, and guidelines of good and necessary that we have today did not exist. As we climbed closer to the whales very close at times and from my vantage point it almost looked like it was just above the whales. I was spoiled, but even though it was my first time, I realized that this was something special, and it was this experience that I really got in the way of Wildlife Extra. He probably saw something like 8 pairs of mother and baby that day, including a mother with a calf in white (albino?), We saw whales, fins, flippers, bumps and salpicaduras.Para put the photos in perspective, this was 1987 and I was backpacking around South America for a year. Carry all my worldly goods in the back, a big heavy camera with thick glasses was not an option, so I had a Canon Sureshot Tele.
wild life picture  Well, as the cruise progressed I had no idea what an extraordinary morning I had. Not many right whales left now, and there were fewer in 1987. And most of them seemed to be in the bay that day. My camera was hardly any zoom at all, and no fancy effects, so I hope you can appreciate how amazing it era.Como we headed back to the dock I felt a mixture of emotions: joy of what had seen, the emotional exhaustion after a morning so special, and disappointment at the end of the voyage and the end of my first whale watching. After a quick lunch we went to the end of the peninsula to see some elephant seals (sea lions can be seen later in the season). I glimpsed a few guanacos (like llamas, but thinner) and rhea (South America the smaller version of the ostrich and emu) and after a brief stop to see the sea-lions, we stopped at the beach, where the seals were. Well, I say, if you ever have the chance to see elephant seals shot. They are huge, much bigger than I had imagined, and the bulls were frolicking around the beach discussing pequeños.Cuando females more I sat and watched these monsters, I noticed a dip in the periphery of my vision away from the beach. I wondered along the beach the last elephant seals over to where I thought the splash had come, and there were 2 forms only dark stretches in the waves a few meters from the coast. I ran the last 50 meters and was just in time to see one of the great beasts rising from the water and come down. I raised my camera and pulled the trigger confidence without even having time to lift my eye. I was fired from the hip. Then twenty minutes of glory had sat on the stones that look like two whales play in the waves just 30 meters from the shore.
wild life photos It seemed as if the water would be just deep enough for me to swim, let alone a whale to the violation. As I was backpacking I had to wait until I came to the UK about 4 months later, before he could develop the film, and the wait was now interminable.Incluso not finished, however, was not only the issue of 300,000 penguins to see and walk through. But my bolt was shot, he had nothing to give in the betting area apreciación.El Peninsula Valdes is one of the most important breeding sites in the world of the Southern Right Whale. They were so easy to hunt (and so were the "right whale") who were the first of the great whales in danger of extinction, therefore, were protected in the decade of 1930. At present there is much less than 5000 left, but this is a great increase of more than 40 years. You can also see on the coast of South Africa and Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment